
Most satisfying packed-lunch ever: Broiled pesto tomatoes and the healthiest quinoa-veggie recipe ever (seriously, check out the ingredients below)
Ingredients
- 8 medium sized tomatoes (or 4 large ones)
- 3 cups of parsley
- 2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup olive oil salt and pepper
- bread crumbs, croutons, or ripped pieces of whole wheat bread for topping
Directions
- Pre-heat oven to broil.
- Cut tomatoes crosswise and core them.
- Place basil, parsley, garlic cloves, pine nuts, nutritional yeast, olive oil in a food processor and let ‘er rip.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place tomatoes cut-side up on a bake sheet.
- Spoon pesto into tomato halves.
- Top with bread crumbs.
- Broil for 5 minutes (so fast!) or until the pesto bubbles and the bread crumbs are browned.
Ingredients:
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup dry (red) quinoa
- 1 ½ cups carrot juice
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 medium apple, diced
- ⅓ cup unsweetened shredded coconuts
- Crushed almonds or peanuts
- canola, sunflower, coconut, or safflower oil (basically oil to sautee with)
Directions:
- Thinly coat the bottom of a pot or deep saucepan with oil and saute onion for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in ginger, quinoa, and carrot juice.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, and scatter peas over cooked quinoa.
- Stir apple, coconut, and nuts into salad.
Overall: Okay, I don’t have enough free time to blog and edit my photos like I used to. I find that worrying about having the prettiest post slows me down too much and I end up never posting!
Now back to the food…These were both awesome dishes! Ben and I made them for dinner and I took the leftovers for lunch. I love carrot juice and was ecstatic to find a quinoa recipe that uses it! It infuses the grain with Vitamin A and other antioxidants. It’s very filling so you can mix it with spring salad for a lighter lunch packed with vegetables.
Oh and the tomatoes…so good. And they broil so fast! Homemade pesto smells and tastes fresher. With a little bit of salt, they make a beautiful and delicious side dish. Tomatoes are high in Vitamin C, Vitamin A, and potassium. Parsley is packed with Vitamin K.
Definitely give both these recipes a try soon! You can make a batch of quinoa and buy salad for a week’s worth of lunches.
See you!
Geraldine
ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:
แสดงความคิดเห็น